Friday, March 19, 2010

Easter Topiary

Around the blog community I kept seeing wreaths made from cupcake holders. They really caught my eye. They are just adorable. Well one day I was at my local thrift store and happened to come across these little topiary foam thingies for $.50. I couldn't pass them up. They made me think of the wreaths everyone had been making for Valentine's day. I thought I could make a topiary instead. Then a few days later I had to run to the drug store and they just happened to have the small Easter cupcake holders marked down to 3 for $1.00. SCORE! I couldn't pass those up either. The lady asked me what I was going to do with all of them. She was very interested when I told her I was going to make a topiary out of them.



One night my friend Andrea from Do's to Choose and I had a craft night together. I knew this would be an opportunity for me to actually finish a project.


So I just twisted the bottom of each cupcake paper and applied them to the foam with hot glue. I ended up using 3 packages of 75 holders. So 225 cupcake holders. Yes my fingers hurt after a while. I think it turned out pretty darn cute. Grand total spent$2.00. I already had the green grass (from a gift,) buttons and ribbon (also from a gift). I spray painted the $.50 pink pot that was in my thrift store loot. I used Heirloom White by Rustoleum.


Here it is sitting in our house. Another idea I had for it was to use moss instead of the shredded easter paper. I didn't have any moss so I used the paper instead.



Shared this link at:

9 comments:

  1. I love this topiary!!! Thank you so much for sharing how to do this. I love that it could be customized to any holiday season. Come see me sometime at sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just too cute! You found some great treasures on your thrifting trip. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea!! I love it. It turned out so cute. I am looking forward to seeing more fun things on your blog. I am a follower now :)

    Thanks for sharing at Spring has Sprung at Fun to Craft. Feel free to stop by the party again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute Missy! I love how you added the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out really cute! I love a bargain too!

    I found you at Fun to Craft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet project.. I need to start thinking Easter, last year we had an easter tree! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! That is the first time I have seen one like that, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo...great finds! I love your topiary, very pretty! Thanks for sharing and for linkin' up to Frugalicious Friday!

    Jane @ Finding Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your topiary looks great! I am your newest follower. Stop on by thecraftcave.blogspot.com sometime.

    ReplyDelete