Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Slipcover Fix

So I purchased this cute little couch the first year we moved into this house. I bought it at a thrift store of course. The boys absolutely love it. It is pretty comfortable.
Look how little they were. Miss those days.

The blue ticking stripe does go with the colors in our house so I found a slip cover on clearance at Target a few months after I bought the couch. Of course the covers never fit exactly. Any time the boys sat on the couch the whole cover would be destroyed. It would drive me absolutely NUTS! Here is a picture of how messy it used to look. See the arms. I used to fold and tuck all the extra fabric. Such a pain.


So the last weekend I was determined to fix the darn thing. I found a tutorial made by Kelly at Much To Do With Nothing. Kelly is amazingly talented. I have been following her blog for a while now.
So anyway. I had some old fabric that I used to make a pattern. I just placed the fabric in different sections and outlined each form. Placed the pattern on the slipcover fabric and cut out the pieces. It all came together like a puzzle. I must say I am very pleased with how it turned out. It actually fits and I don't have to yell at the boys anymore to stop messing up the couch. Wooohoo!!!


So now my next project is to make slipcovers for these two green chairs.
My uncle gave them to me. They used to be his Mother in Laws. He was going to throw them to the dump. Can you believe that? I just love these chairs. But they need to be brought back to life. I thought about getting a bold patterned fabric and making pillows out of the same fabric to place on the couch. Tie the room together and make it feel more complete. What do you think? Any fabric suggestions for a resonable price. I want tans, reds, yellows and oranges. Warm colors.
Thanks and have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a great idea - to cover the chairs with a bold fabric and then make matching pillows for the sofa. I usually look for fabric on the clearance isle at my local fabric store. You also might be able to repurpose clearance curtains, table cloths, etc. if you find a pattern you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those chairs Missy! I think it is a good idea to make matching pillows for the couch. I sent you a link to a fabric store I found online, I will look around for you. Thanks for the sewing inspiration too! I really want to fix my machine and start those wing chairs I was telling you about, some one said it is a good idea to start with muslin, have you heard of this?

    ReplyDelete