Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Update our home exterior

Now that spring is here I have been thinking about being outdoors and working in our yard. I love to garden and of course paint. One thing that has been bothering me is the exterior of our house. It just looks a little dated. So I'm thinking it needs some paint. Our home was built in 1992 and still has a lot of the original 90's features. So I need to liven her up again. I have been playing around in photoshop and getting some ideas for colors. Any suggestions would be great as well. Here is our house how it looks now during some seasons.




The yellow on our home is all aluminum siding so it can't be painted. But the shutters, porch, garage doors and everything else needs to be painted in my opinion. The shutters are made of vinyl. I have done a little research and you can repaint vinyl shutters. You have to buy a special paint that will contract and expand when heat beats down on them. Sounds like you can use Krylon Fusion or Rustoleum paints that are specifically made for vinyl. Correct me if I'm wrong?

First I was thinking the garage doors need to be painted the same color as our house. I think they stand out way too much as they are right now. My husband thinks they should be the same color as the shutters but I strongly disagree. What do you think?
Next I was thinking of adding white trim around the garage doors, gutters and the porch. Right now it's all the same color as the house.
Shutters and the door? What colors? I was thinking possibly black. Or a green that almost looks black. Like Essex Green by Benjamin Moore.

The front door I was thinking a red to welcome you or just the same as the shutters.

Here is what I came up with in Photoshop to give you and idea.


Here is how my hubby would like it. It looks funny to me. You don't notice the house all you see is the garage doors.


Here it is how it is today. Same photo not edited. Excuse our realtors van. Just a quick photo I found to work with.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I would have to agree with you, the house looks better with the lighter colors and trim. It all blends together nicely without noticing the garage first. I love your idea for shutter color. I can't wait to see what you decide on.

    By the way, you did great using Photoshop! =) ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lighter color looks good on the garage doors. The focus should be on the front door instead of the garage doors. The shutters look fine being a different color than the doors. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most important rules of home exterior design is to make sure that you have the right external cladding material put to use. You can read more about it on The Happy Homes Blog. Check it out if you're looking for more tips and tricks on the same.

    ReplyDelete