Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Start of Sketch a Day

So it's been a while since I went to Art school and Design school. I graduated in 2001, got married 2 months later and had twins in 2002. Seems like once I had kids I felt I had to stop doing what I love. I know that's just me, it really is me because I know all of you still keep on going. But going from no kids then to two right away and not wanting to put them in daycare made my design life come to a standstill. I don't regret having them at all...no way. I just feel I spent all this time in school and never got to use it. I have kept busy while raising my boys. I taught myself how to use Photoshop and I would digital scrapbook almost daily. I have hundreds of pages to prove it. Here is one of my online galleries. I was also on quite a few Creative Design teams. Now that my boys are older I don't enjoy it as much, so I have quit many teams. I tried to paint children's art canvases after I had my twins but I didn't make enough money for all the time I spent. I wasn't charging enough to say the least. My fault. I had no idea there was an Etsy out there. I actually don't think there was yet.

So now I spend most days day dreaming about what I can do so I can pay off those stinking school loans. I was going to go back to work this fall when our youngest goes to kindergarten, but then I thought,"What am I going to do with my boys in the summers?" What do you guys do? What have you done? I feel it would be such a shock for my guys who have never been in daycare. It makes me want to cry. My thought was I can draw. I love to draw. Maybe I can start working on some art and sell on Etsy. What do you think? I thought I would start posting my daily drawings and improve my skills. I really don't have a technique or style yet. Still searching for that. Last summer I took a children's book illustration class. It was very insightful. It taught me a lot and made me realize that there is so much more to learn. If I work on my skills my style will then emerge.

Here is a sketch I worked on last night to get me started. A caned chair. I'm going to challenge myself to do a sketch a day. Boy that will be a challenge.


Thanks for reading my ramblings. Have a good Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. You will always have that talent and skill it will never leave you...Your only a Mom once:) And it truly as you know is the most rewarding job!~ I love your sketches and you do awesome work:) Keep sharing whenever you can:) Thanks for visiting.....Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Missy - What a beautiful sketch! Just follow your heart and I'm sure you will find something that makes you happy! Thanks so much for stopping by and becoming a follower - I really appreciate it!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete